Saturday, December 20, 2008

Slip slidin away.....

Mother Nature has reared her ugly head once again. It happens every year, and regardless of how many Chicago winters (this will be my 8th!) you have survived it never seems to get any easier. Currently we have about 5 inches of snow on the ground with the threat of more. It's lovely to look at, but not so lovely to walk or drive through. With this snow comes ice....lots of ice. And with this ice comes....doom!

Last week I headed out the door on my morning venture to the mindless day job. The hour was early and I was groggy, so I walked slowly down the three flights of stairs to my garage. I had made it all the way to the first floor flight when all of a sudden and without warning I felt my feet slip out from under me. I flew up, then back, then down, right on my sacro with a brute force and proceeded to slide the rest of the way down the stairs. I saw stars and crumbled into a heap at the bottom of the staircase in the snow. I could not believe what had just happened, and wondered if I could feel my legs or move my hips. Thank the heavens above for I managed to make it out of this debacle virtually unscathed. I am still pretty sore, and doing seven shows a week is not aiding in the healing process, but I will persevere.

Thinking back on it this could have been an absolute nightmare. Had I fallen on my head or my neck it's quite likely I would not be around to type this blog. I could have potentially broken a hip or my tailbone, which would not have fit into my "dance all night" wedding plans. I find it best not to ponder the "what if's" but rather count my blessings daily. And always hold onto the handrails, like a seven year old child.

Be careful...it's dangerous out there.

Some views from my back porch. Brrrrrrr.......

2 comments:

Bad Kid Productions said...

Eeeep! I am both excited and intimidated at the same time. I've not been home in winter for 3 years... and I come back tonight.

Glad you're ok. that sounds like a doozy!

Sara Gahan said...

YOU ARE MARRIED!!! HOORAY!!! The wedding was BEAUTIFUL and so so fun! Love to you both!